Recipe - Vagherela bhaat (spicy curd rice)
I've been cooking food since a couple of years now, ranging from a full Indian menu to a simple one-off filling dish. This is my first attempt at noting down a recipe on a blog!
This is a 20 min simple recipe, for spicy curd rice, or Vagherela bhaat as we call it in Gujarati.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp sunflower / vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tomato
- 1 finger chilli
- 4 tbsp plain / greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped coriander (to garnish)
2. Cook it until it looks like this:
3. Take 2 tbsp vegetable / sunflower oil, 1tsp mustard seeds and put it on low flame; let the mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add 4 tbsp plain / greek yoghurt, 1tsp red paprika powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of asafoetida and cooking salt to taste.
7. Stir it, and cook it on a low flame for 5 min, until it looks like this:
8. Add freshly chopped coriander before serving: